Victoria Public Bath in Manchester

I have found my second building in Manchester. Its Victorian Public Bath.
This building has a beautiful features and has a lots of potencial inside. Unfortunately when I have contacted them they said I will have to donate £20 each time I come to take measurement, images etc.
This probably would cost me way too much. I'll try to get there in cheaper way. Mabe pretending to be a tourist and just go to an open sessions. I think it maybe worth it.

Outside view today


Top of the building
View from top

 A bit of History:

When it opened in 1906, Victoria Baths on Hathersage Road, Manchester, was described as "the most splendid municipal bathing institution in the country" and "a water palace of which every citizen of Manchester can be proud."  Not only did the building provide spatious and extensive facilities for swimming, bathing and leisure, it was built of the highest quality materials with many period decorative features:- stained glass, terracotta, tiles and mosaic floors.
Victoria Baths served the people of central Manchester for 87 years and established themselves in the affections of all those who used the facilities.

Front elevation
 The plan to provide Baths to serve the three wards of Longsight, St Luke's and Rusholme was first considered in 1897 by the Baths and Wash-houses Committee of Manchester Corporation and in 1899 the site was purchased.


Under construction, c.1903

Males First Class Pool, 1905 Mcr Archives & Local Studies


Finally a bit of iterior pictures:



No comments:

Post a Comment